Adding AI to business operations to accelerate decision-making, create a symbiotic relationship, and bring harmony to both human and machine
Assemble the minions! “Taking the robot out of the human” is an established first step towards any automation of work processes. But what about bringing AI into the equation? Mimicry is one element of mechanistic automation, but perhaps – more importantly – is the ability to augment human intelligence. Apparent from AI’s mastery of natural language, and its understanding of audio, video, and images, it has an uncanny ability to observe processes in their broader context, detecting complex patterns that humans cannot even see or absorb. The resulting symbiotic relationship between humans and AI is changing the way we work, the way we organize ourselves, and ultimately, the way we do business, and live our lives.
Lee Beardmore Expert in Residence
- Cognitive systems are mastering human conversation; processing natural language with interpretation and understanding of context, generating natural language where narratives are needed to describe raw data, or using computer vision to evaluate the quality of objects on a production line.
- GPT-3 has unlocked the most advanced means of dealing with language to date, paving the way for AI to creatively produce narratives that we typically use to tell stories about the increasingly complex environment we operate in.
- Cognitive algorithms are deriving how humans interact with applications so they can build automated routines to take over the work.
- Multi-agent systems work together to drive autonomous business operations. They focus on goal seeking, prediction and recommended courses of action to augment the human process, liberating decision makers from the labor-intensive process of preparing recommendations.
- McDonald's partnered with IBM to leverage AI-powered customer care solutions and voice recognition to bring improvements to drive-thru lanes at fast-food restaurants and automate the order-taking process.
- Turkish bank, İşbank deployed H2O’s Driverless AI platform to upgrade its income prediction, cash forecasting, and check default prediction applications to improve the accuracy of the bank’s business planning with on-going AI projects.
- BBVA has been experimenting with an open API for GPT-3, where they managed to generate summaries identifying the core issue, the product involved, the recommendations or answers given, and its state of completion.
- Siemens partnered with Google Cloud to enable the scaled deployment of AI-based solutions for industrial manufacturing, automating tasks to empower employees and improve quality.
- US-based retailer, PetSmart implemented an AI/ML technology to aggregate millions of transactions and their outcomes, saving almost $12-million in fraud detection.
- Improved productivity and effectiveness through automated decision making and the availability of real-time, predictive insights.
- Human-like cognitive capabilities in end-to-end processes enhance the consumer experience.
- Mitigating the risks of attrition, aging workforce, and dependencies in areas of specialized or scarce knowledge.
- Enabling new capabilities where AI-infused processes deliver at a previously inconceivable speed, gradually approaching the era of autonomous processes and even the autonomous enterprise.