IT’S ALL CONNECTED
In combination with IoT, AI, and Edge computing, 5G connectivity is the catalyst for technology-driven, networked business innovation
Depending on your point of view, the very notion of everything being connected may trigger spiritual or ecological thoughts. Alternatively, it may be like staring into a Black Mirror, or it may simply strike you as a worn-out cliché. But for a Technology Business, the technological capabilities to connect in real time, at high speed, to so much more than was previously achievable – including the internet of things (IoT), edge devices, and people in the field – provide unique opportunities. Data is often the keyword here, as it’s easier to gather, in higher volumes, at more collection points than ever before. Share it, collaborate on it, even create AI models on top of it. Your high-speed, ultra-smart business network is here.
Gert Helsen Expert in Residence
- Connectivity between end user device and end point ranging from mobile cellular, WiFi, broadband, cable as well as satellite.
- 5G is the latest cellular communication standard. Capgemini’s Accelerating the 5G Industrial Revolution research shows that 40% of industrial organizations expect to roll out 5G at a single site within two years.
- The new Wi-Fi 6 standard provides potential speeds up to 9.6Gbit/s with up to 75% less latency compared with Wi-Fi 5.
- In the Intelligent Industry sector, use cases demonstrate how 5G can conduct video-based quality inspections, remotely control, and operate machinery, run AGVs and other autonomous robots, and enable remote collaboration using AR/VR.
- Starlink, a satellite internet constellation operated by SpaceX, consists of over 1,600 satellites and will eventually consist of many thousands of mass-produced small satellites in low Earth orbit, aiming to provide internet access to people around the world currently living without access to high-speed internet.
- Smart farming and precision agriculture incorporate 5G technology by connecting sensors and tracking devices with geographical and weather information.
- In manufacturing, 5G enables increased agility of factory operations by connecting robots and autonomous guided vehicles to run dynamic routes based on conditions.
- In logistics, smart container platforms can track individual containers rather than an individual goods vehicle, ship, or train to offer improved efficiency and insights.
- A Dutch construction company uses IoT sensors to optimize building management and maintenance, tracking energy consumption, humidity levels, and carbon emissions. The data is used to plan energy efficiency upgrades and reduce costs.
- Porsche, in cooperation with Vodaphone, has entered the 5G era offering real-time mobile communication to allow the secure and instantaneous transmission of data between car, human, and machine.
- Enterprises will need to rethink their business models to harness the power of IoT and 5G by collecting and aggregating huge amounts of real-time data, offering, and monetizing value-added services (levering AI and data analytics).
- Automating, tracking, and monitoring processes drastically reduces the time between an occurring event and any corrective action resulting in faster decision making as well as reduced risks and costs.
- 5G can industries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by enabling improved energy efficiencies, smart water management, traffic management, and smart cities.
- With the volume of data collected from 5G applications, companies will need a full review of their existing data procedures and IT infrastructure.
- While it becomes easier to improve security through 5G, it will also introduce new security risks as Cloud, data, and IoT threats merge.
- Connectivity: LoRaWAN, Open RAN, OPC Foundation, IEEE 80X Standards, WiFi 6, 6G, EFF, Ultra Internet High Speed
- 5G related papers and standards: 5G Industrial Revolution, 5G in industrial operations, ETSI Why do we need 5G, ITU 5G Requirements, 3GPP 5G specifications
- Edge computing concepts: 5G and Edge, Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC), HiberHilo
- Satellite ground network: Hughes JUPITER System Satellite Ground Network, Starlink, Imersat
Find Out More
Visit our website to delve into Technovision trends and resources:
To access and download the TechnoVision 2022 report as a PDF, click here:
If you would like to know more about TechnoVision from Capgemini, or to speak to us about any aspects of this report, click here: